Saturday, April 25, 2009

Undead on reading, more like

Maybe I'm too picky. Maybe I'm a book snob. I grabbed a book from the library last week from the "what's hot" section called Undead on Arrival. I thought it looked pretty crappy but kind of trashy, perfect for a girls' weekend at the beach. I didn't get around to looking at it again until last night. I barely made it through the dedication and I was already biased against it. I forced myself to read the first chapter but had to put it down in favour of crappy Friday night T.V. after that. I was cringing at her writing style, her limited vocabulary, and the fact that she apparently used a thesuarus without knowing how to, in order to beef up said limited vocabulary. I chose this book from the rack of "what's hot" because it says on the front it's a New York Times best seller author, so it couldn't be that bad, right? Unfortunately it can. Turns out she had one book on the "extended" best seller list.

I don't know if there is really something wrong with me, or with society. I suffered through the bad writing of the Twilight series, in fact I loved it, because she really had a story to tell, a way with words, something. Yes I'm a book snob but I can put that aside for a good story. I think this was written on a roll of toilet paper in the bathroom stall of a dive bar when the author thought up one good idea after a night of drinking.

If this crap can get published, I really need to finish my novel.

No comments: